prof. dr. A.S. (Anne) Troelstra
Faculty of Science
Science Park 107
Science Park 105 Room number: F2.08
1090 GE Amsterdam
Publications and CV
On this page references to a complete list of publications as pdf (more than is
contained in the DARE database) and a short curriculum vitae, also as pdf
Corrections on publications
Correcties on some of my books may be found by the links below.
History of biology
My interest in botany led also to an interest in the history of biology, in particular natural history travel narratives. I published two popular books in Dutch on this theme, Tijgers op de Ararat (2003) and Kolibries in de oren (2009), and also an anthology of Dutch natural history travel narratives, van Spitsbergen naar Suriname (2007). All three books appeared with Uitgeverij Atlas, Amsterdam.
There is enough material for another book, but the times are not favorable for publication. In my drawer there are short pieces (in Dutch) on a number of themes, such as Naturalists in the Desert, Doubly reported (about expedition which have been described independently by more than one participant), The grey country (on the impression Australian scenery made on travellers), and so on. I include a sample (again in Dutch) on Orchidomania.
A Bibliography of natural History Travel Narratives is to appear autumn 2016. In this book i have tried to list all natural history travel narratives, all editions, all translation which i could find. But the coverage is not complete, for example the covering ofbooks in the Slavic languages is fragmentary.
Rubus in the "Utrechtse heuvelrug"
English: Over a number of years I have mapped, together with my wife, the distribution of Rubus species in the "Utrechtse heuvelrug", which I take hear to include the region of "Het Gooi". The mapping was done on a square-kilometer grid (Amersfoort coordinates). The maps represent only my own observations; of course other people have been mapping Rubus in part of the area concerned.
Dutch: in de loop van een flink aantal jaren heb ik samen met mijn vrouw de verspreiding van Rubus-soorten in de Utrechtse Heuvelrug in kaart gebracht. De Utrechtse Heuvelrug omvat tevens Het Gooi. Het karteren geschiedde op basis van een raster van vierkante kilometers (Amersfoort-coördinaten) De kaartjes representeren alleen mijn eigen waarnemingen; ook anderen hebben her en der in het gebied geïnventariseerd.
Natural History Travel Narratives after 1950
It might be thought that the time for natural history travel narratives are past, since the days of exploration of the world are over. That this impression is not correct is demonstrated by a list of natural history travel narratives dating from 1950 till the present day.
Shortly after retirement I was asked to write a piece with personal reminiscences for the ILLC-magazine. It appeared under the title Looking Back.
The sudden death of my Russian colleague Albert Dragálin in 1998 came as a shock; the few times I met him he seemed always full of life. His work and personality had made a deep impression on me and shortly after his death I wrote a short tribute.
Valedictory lecture - Afscheidscollege
Below a link to an English translation of my valedictory lecture, delivered in September 2000. The illustrations are not quite the same as actually shown during the lecture; some had to be left out for reasons of copyright.
- Troelstra, A. S., & van de Beek, A. (2014). Rubus uncimontanus spec. nov., eine neue Brombeerart in den Niederlanden und Westfalen. Osnabrücker Naturwissenschaftliche Mitteilungen, 39/40, 131-134.
- Troelstra, A. S., van de Beek, B., Bijlsma, R. J., Haveman, R., Meijer, K., de Ronde, I., & Weeda, E. (2014). Naamlijst en verspreidingsgegevens van de Nederlandse bramen (Rubus L. subgenus Rubus). Gorteria, 36, 108-171.
- Troelstra, A. S. (2016). Bibliography of natural history travel narratives. Utrecht: KNNV Publishing. [details]
- Troelstra, A. S. (2011). History of constructivism in the 20th century. In J. Kennedy, & R. Kossak (Eds.), Set Theory, Arithmetic, and Foundations of Mathematics: Theorems, Philosophies (pp. 150-179). (Lecture Notes in logic; Vol. 36). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. DOI: 10.1017/CBO9780511910616.009 [details]
- Troelstra, A. S. (2016). Checking your history. In J. van Eijk, R. Iemhoff, & J. J. Joosten (Eds.), Liber Amicorum Alberti: a tribute to Albert Visser (pp. 223-230). (Tributes; Vol. 30). London: College Publications. [details]
- Troelstra, A. (2008). Inleiding. In A. S. Troelstra (Ed.), Van Spitsbergen naar Suriname: Nederlandse natuurhistorische reisverhalen (pp. 7-16). Amsterdam [etc.]: Atlas. [details]
- Troelstra, A. S. (2008). Van Spitsbergen naar Suriname: Nederlandse natuurhistorische reisverhalen. Amsterdam [etc.]: Atlas. [details]