Ms W.J.L. (Willemijn) van Noord MA
Faculty of Humanities
Turfdraagsterpad 15 Amsterdam
Room number: 3.02
1012 XT Amsterdam
Willemijn van Noord is a PhD candidate in the Art History department. Her research focuses on the reception of Chinese objects in the Low Countries during the long seventeenth century, and is part of the larger interdisciplinary project entitled 'The Chinese Impact: Images and Ideas of China in the Dutch Golden Age' funded by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO). So far, her case-studies include:
- A Han dynasty bronze mirror in the collection of Nicolaes Witsen
- Delftware ceramics decorated with pseudo-Chinese characters
- Dutch tin-glazed tiles decorated with Chinese figures
- A coromandel lacquer screen in the collection of Mary Stuart
- The presence of Chinese script in both Dutch and Chinese books and prints
- van Noord, W. J. L. (2015). 'Asia > Amsterdam: Luxury in the Golden Age,' an Exhibition at the Rijksmuseum [Review of: K.H. Corrigan, et al. (2015) Asia in Amsterdam : the culture of luxury in the Golden Age]. Newsletter - The Oriental Ceramic Society, 23, 30-31. [details]
- van Noord, W. J. L. (2015). Book review: How to Read Chinese Ceramics by Denise Patry Leidy. Newsletter - The Oriental Ceramic Society, 23, 33-34. [details]
- van Noord, W. J. L. (Photographer). (2016). Blog post: Viewing Chinese trade paintings, Museum Volkenkunde. [details]
- van Noord, Willemijn (2016): British Museum Future Curators Legacy Funding.
- van Noord, W.J.L. (member) (2016-2018): Vereniging van Vrienden der Aziatische Kunst (VVAK) (External organisation).
- van Noord, W.J.L. (member) (2014-2019): The Oriental Ceramic Society (External organisation).
- van Noord, W.J.L. (organiser) (26-11-2016): VVAK International Student Symposium on Asian Art (organising a conference, workshop, ...).
Keynote / Invited lecture
- van Noord, W.J.L. (invited speaker) (10-3-2016): Delftware with pseudo-Chinese characters, Cosmopolis seminar, Leiden, Netherlands.
- van Noord, W.J.L. (invited speaker) (18-7-2016): From Future Curator to PhD Researcher, Museums and Heritage Traineeships: What Next? , London, United Kingdom.
- van Noord, W.J.L. (invited speaker) (28-5-2016): China materialised? The reception of Chinese material culture in the seventeenth-century Netherlands, The Burrell Collection, Glasgow Museums.
- van Noord, W.J.L. (invited speaker) (8-9-2016): China’s character: fascination with Chinese script in the 17th century Netherlands, Entangled Cultural Histories. Encounters between China and Europe, 1600-1900., Shanghai, China.
- van Noord, W.J.L. (speaker) (25-8-2016): ‘“One of the greatest antiquities that we have here from those lands” : interpreting inscribed Han dynasty mirrors from Siberian burials in early eighteenth-century Europe’, 21st Biennial Conference of the European Association for Chinese Studies, St Petersburg, Russian Federation.
The Oriental Ceramic Society